Saturday 15 September 2012

Views & Interviews III

It is a very common trend of gossips and advices given to girls often by the girls, before interviews is that, "Just dress properly, speak proper English without any local accent, flaunt your beauty, show some friendly attitude and a bit of technical fact, you will have the offer letter". Some even say that: Girls who have a worked out figure, doesn't need a sharp brain to take an IT job. When girls can't get things by being intelligent, they can get it by being dumb. BUT IT'S NOT TRUE. I want to give an alert message to all those ideologist that, IT firms hire BRAINS not BOOBIES and never take anything for granted. Some interviewer who are really dedicated towards their job can really give you a tough time in their panels. But there is always a small favor of luck for all those who have either worked hard or are in-born lucky. If you find me an unsuitable person for this advice then you may consult Cindrella Kasyap.  
Ooh!! By the way, allow me introduce you to her first:
"Cindrella... Cindrella Kasyap, from Bokaro.Bokaro Steel City" were the words of introduction by her in our first class introduction. Well it sounds like "Bond... James Bond" but every introduction of her seems to be correct when you have her result card in your hand. She has been in top-three position of our department throughout her college life. Leaving apart her academic achievements, she is very friendly, sweet and nice girl. Many call her Cindu but I felicitated her with the name "Dhakkan" (Hindi term of bottle's cap, rather used to state an idiot). She was awarded with the honour because of her inability to understand the dual-meaning jokes of mine. In return she also calls me "Dhakkan" but she is more popular with the tag among our friends. The best part of her is that: I never had to think before speaking anything in front her because by the time she gets that, I am not in the vicinity.
Anyways she had a real amazing interview in WIPRO on-campus placement drive. She narrated me as:
It was three in the night when Namrata called me to say that my turn for Wipro's Technical Interview is around six in the evening. I asked her about Sumit. She told that Sumit had his turn the next day but she had adjusted it in the evening only. She is a darling. Namrata was our placement cell representative along with Nitesh. I always envied her personality and her presentation skills. She was the true companion of Nitesh in the placement cell. Both of them weigh more than all other placement representative taken together. But apart from her weight which I always wished to have but never had, she was a perfect person to represent the girls wing of our department. Yes Nitesh and Namrata were the face of Computer Science and Engineering.
Sumit has been the person of my dreams. I always found him beside me, at the times when it was most necessary. Although being a very mysterious character for many, he was very simple for me. A bit short-tempered but loveable. Its always an advantage to have an intelligent boyfriend with you. Well in-spite being the topper of the department for few semester, I was a consistent student of him who taught me almost everything. I never knew why he never got such good grades.
Well as per the legends and myths in our college. Interviews were considered to be an easy path for girl, if you fulfill certain girlish criteria. I did. I had the best collection of formals among my friends. Although none appreciated my look on the interview day except Sumit but I say I looked gorgeous. I did my final checking before leaving the room.
Resume: Checked,
Certificates: Checked,
Shoes Polished: Checked,
Hair Style Perfect: Checked,
Lips Glowing: Checked,
Face Lighten: Checked,
Dress Perfect: Checked,
Body Line Awesome: Checked,
INTERVIEWER WILL BE DEAD NOW, so was my confidence.
I was there at five thirty sharp. I saw many of my classmates in the waiting queue. It was really a long queue. Sumit reached after me. He too looked good. I don't get how these nincompoops look so gentle on the placement day. If they look so perfect then why then don't dress up properly. I was really shocked to see some of the boys from our department.Uday, Ashwini, Nawal and all others looked so cool. Bhanu had an amazing interview in the morning but he was there to support others with technical help. He looked HUMAN for the first time after Infosys Interview.
We started discussing the questions that were asked to different candidates till now. I had a perfect interview with Infosys so I was a bit relaxed but Sumit was tensed because it was his first interview. I became restless whenever I saw Sumit being tensed. I was just praying for him.
Well two hours passed, neither Sumit nor I were called. I was hungry now. Huma had a remarkable technical and HR interviews. After that she brought us food. Time was moving very slow rather it was being force fully moved.
Another two hours passed, we were unmoved. Now we had no topics to discuss. WIPRO was testing our patience. It was really an stress interview. Tension, hunger and tiredness were creeping fast. I had to flash water every hour to keep me presentable. It was tough.
Ten at night I was called. The interviewer unbelievably fresh, handsome and sharp. We wished each other. He took my resume and asked me to introduce myself. I did. Then he asked me certain technical questions and answered them perfectly as they were pure fact based question. It seemed to me like a practical Viva. After interrogating for ten minutes he asked me to leave. I was confused that whether he choosed me or not but he spoke up, "You will have a second round of technical interview, go outside and wait" and he returned me my belongings.
I came back to my seat and saw Sumit was still waiting. Nobody before me was asked to wait for second interview. It was strange. The interviewer had a half an hour break at ten thirty. We were being bored. It was really a stress interview going on. They were testing our limits. Two hours passed and it was midnight now. All my make-ups were destroyed now.
Then all of a sudden I was called. This time I was in another panel. The interviewer looked very fresh again. I didn't know how this can happen. They were there in the room since two o'clock and they looked fresh.
"Your document says that you had faced the technical round" , he said with a surprise.
"Yes Sir, but the interviewer said that I will have to give it second time", I replied.
"No there is no such norm, go and claim it", he showed me the way.
I wanted to avoid further delay so I said, "Sir, No Problem, I can give another technical interview".
He smiled and it was a good sign that he was impressed.
He took my CV and first thing he said after I gave my introduction was, "Great grades. You seemed to a bright girl. What a hobby? Solving Puzzles".
Actually I didn't had any hobby like thing so I wrote there "Solving Puzzles", but here I had no other option left than saying, "Yes sir".
"Ok then let me test you", he said. He took out his phone and after pressing few keys he forwarded me the phone and asked to solve a Su-Du-Ku. SHIT NO-WAY. Co-incidentally it was the  same set that my mom had and I had enough experience handling it. Mean while he was busy writing something. It took me ten odd minutes to solve it and break his record, that was saved. He was impressed. I was good.
"Then let me give you another puzzle. I hope you remember Physics", he said and took out a blank sheet.
"Yes, I do", I had no choice. He drew some sketch where a projectile ball was thrown from a hill and it landed on a boat in a river. He asked to derive the total distance covered by the ball.
I was really tensed because it was really becoming hard for me. At-last somehow I struck to basics and applied all possible forces that ball can have and finally forwarded the answer.
He was looking into the sheet as if he could discover a treasure out of it. I was not sure about my answer. I was praying to God and asking myself why I wrote such a hobby. He looked into the paper and then starred at me. Every time he had a different expression and it was killing me. He did it four to five times. My palms were cold now. My heartbeat were faster. I was really tensed but it flew away when he finally spoke, "Perfect". THANKS GOD!!
"You are really logical", he said and I was flying in my mind.
"Actually we need employers like you...",he said and started explaining how Wipro works and how researches are carried on along with the works. He then narrated me his personal on-going project where he was trying to make a game in which a picture in divided into eight sliding parts and its arranged on a panel of nine blocks, leaving one block empty. The moment I heard that I can't stop myself from saying, "My friend has already made that". Yes Sumit had made that.
"Really, Is he here?" he asked with excitement.
"Yes, he is waiting outside", I said.
"Is his interview over?" he asked.
"No", I was immediate in answering.
"Call him", I had a better reaction time. I went out and asked Sumit to come. He hesitated at first and I forced him in. They shook hands and the interviewer straight came to the point. No INTRO, No CV and moreover No HOBBY was asked.GREAT.
Sumit and he started their conversation in some alien language and I was just a mute audience. He saw me doing nothing, so he again gave me a puzzle and asked me solve it. I got busy solving that and cursed myself for referring it as my hobby. Mean-while it never seemed like Sumit was being interviewed, but rather it looked like he was dealing his game.
I took about fifteen minutes to complete. By the time the deal was done and they were shaking hands. He took out two acceptance form and handed over to us saying, "You both must join Wipro and do fill the first preference as Hyderabad. I am working there as Project Manager. It will be a great experience working with you all". He stood up and shook hands. We left. I can't believe that I had crossed the hurdle with the help of the last minuted added word in the resume PUZZLES. It was really great. It was already two o'clock in night and we were quickly called for our HR round.
Well it really feel like fun to hear it but solving Physics derivation and three puzzles, out of which one was su-du-ku, is really tough. Kudos to Cindrella and Sumit. WELL DONE. Girls I hope you get what I wanted to say and Boys one more thing to learn from her interview was that make your resume properly. Every word in your resume counts and has some weight. Just don't copy-paste somebody's resume. Anyways Sumit was paid for his hard work. Four days after the interview he qualified for zonal level competition of Aspiration 2020 conducted by Infosys at Bhubneshwar.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks a lot... but may I know who are you, because the name definitely doesn't reveals your original identity... no-body is looser...

      Delete