Saturday 25 August 2012

The place where I love to be

In my childhood days, it was in my usual routine that I used to be the company for my grandpa in his evening walk. He took me to the same place everyday and the place was a railway station. We used to sit there for hours watching trains halting at the station and passing by. We used to look at the numerous passenger boarding and getting down from the train. The unloading parcel coaches and the working potter in the station were like an episode that we watched daily. In this place only I used to hear the stories of Amar-chitra katha, Akbar-Birbal, Ramayan and many more. Here only I was taught how to talk with different people and the manners that are necessary in daily life. Here only I saw some bad examples that worked as evidence to teach me what not to be. So the railway station lessons were like a pre-schooling for me. My grandpa being a principal of a Government High School was a very respectable and famous person in the town. As per said that you become a king if you are a good teacher. He was one of them for sure because every now and then when he used to encounter a person in the road, was either his student or a teacher who worked under him. The worst time taking thing was when he meet the parent of his student. But I like his this attitude. To me this was a great way to meet new people and know new faces. Even though I was just a two and half year old child but I still remember some faces and incidents. The most interesting one when I meet "Haazari Sir" and he was a person who taught my entire maternal family in his teaching carrier and he was a very good friend of grandpa. Haazari Sir asked me to come to his home and get a lesson taught by him as he didn't want to break the tradition. And the most interesting fact was that I was sent for a week, hence making me his another student. Then I also met the person who did the intermediate job of bringing my paternal and maternal family to a junction i.e. my parent's marriage. Anyways the evening walk was the best part for my life that time.
All of a sudden, my parents shifted to Andal and I had to leave the place. In my initial days in Andal, I really missed my grandpa and grandma. It was hard for me to stay here. Then my schooling got started here and I got busy with it. The evening walk became a memory. The daily routine became like wake up then breakfast then school then home then lunch then sleep then playing some games then studies then dinner then sleep and the cycle went on. I was nowhere missing the walk now. I was happy with my work. We used to visit our maternal home every year but hardly for two or three days. Around eight years passed, my brother was born and I was ten by then. I almost forgot about the walk. I got a chance to be with my grandpa for a long summer holiday. My grandpa suddenly asked for the evening walk one day. I was all ready and excited to live my childhood days again. He was leading the way and I was just following him. He took the same path and went to the same places that we used to visit once. Again lot of people wished him and he did wished all of them back. Many similar faces I encountered and many old stories were told to me that how I behaved when I was small. Again many trains came and went. The scene was almost same, potters, passengers, coaches and all. But I didn't find it that attractive this time. May be I liked the outlined life that I was leading. I just asked grandpa that was he coming here after long time or it was a just the same. He replied that he was visiting the place daily. I was surprised and kept mum. I went back home and never visited the place again in that holidays.
Ten more years passed and now I was twenty. To be called as by my voter I-card that I was an adult now. I again got a chance to have a long holiday in my grandpa's home in one of my semester break. Now he was a retried principal but still he followed his hard and fast rule of visiting the railway station. This time I asked him take me along with him. He did and surprisingly nothing changed there. He was following the monotonous walk. This time I simply can't restrict myself from asking him that how could he visit the same place daily without failing, years after years. He replied in a polite manner and he taught me another lesson. He said
"There are many things in life that you will be cherishing. I also do so. I cherish being a teacher and the best part of it is to be a true mentor. Although government paid me to teach the children for eight hours in a day but the role of a teacher never ends there. He is teacher even after his duty gets over. Bhanu just remember that whatever you do in you life just do it sincerely as it is the God who is directing you to do the work. So follow his orders. Yes I take the monotonous path everyday to visit this place but in the mid-way I meet many of my students and their families. I just want to check that all my students have became a good human or not. I check that if some are still lacking behind in the course of their life then I can help them to my limits. Evening walk and health maintaining is just a cover story for my original motto. Yes I proudly say that all my students are good human even though some became great doctors, engineers, administrators and some joined business while some are potters in the station but they all are good at heart. You won't understand why I am doing this but one day you will. This is the place where I love to be"
I nodded my head to accept his point. I was not surprised but was amazed by his commitment towards his work and he is a great teacher. He has been visiting the place for last thirty years. The place where he loves to be.

10 comments:

  1. This really says a lot about how you cherished your childhood days,and the lessons which you got..........superlyk from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Avinash.... indeed it is correct. I do cherish my childhood day such is and many such incidents happened with me.... I will write more of such stories

      Delete
    2. Nyc one :) , U make me remember my childhood . My story is also similar , with my PAPA .
      Great going bro :) . Write some more on 12-th schooling(Competition pressure) and 4 years of life @ B.tech(Sikhne ku6 aur jate hain , sikh ke ku6 aur bahar ate hain :-p)

      Delete
    3. Durgesh I will do it for sure...thanks for reviewing it and suggesting such a wonderful topc

      Delete
  2. Mast hai.... actually well written with emotional ending and moral values.. ye bahut shahi likhe jo aaj ke logon mein commonly paya jata hai ki logon ko jo bachpan mein apne badon ki baat jo achi lagti hai wo bade ho kar ya bade seher jaakr sb bhul jate hain...ye truth hai...maine agal bagal bahut gaur kiya hai.... khair mujhe toh kbhi apne dadji ke saath kbhi rehne ka mauka nai mil paya ( unka dehant mere aane se phele hi ho gaya tha) bt agar mauka milta toh jarur khuch aisa saath hota

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks piku for the complement.... Yes its a truth that the elderly advices are worth being treasured. I am sorry about you but that doesn't stops you from taking such advices from other elderly people. Look around and you can them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its nice...well written....it touched deep inside and stirred some old feelings.....ppl say success of any writing depends on the way it connects to readers....and on dat ground its perfectly executed...nice work.
    For me d best part is dat i dint escape a single line....(more precisely , i could not escape a single word...)...i wanted d story to go on and on....and i wished it wud continue fr a few more pages......i luvd d walk with grandpa...felt d warmth of his affection and care...."MAI TOH UNKA FAN HO GAYA HOON"....
    its well started and nicely ended....well done bhaiya...all d best..!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks a lot for such a wonderful, sweet and encouraging comment Rajan.... Really your comment forced me to write more and I will do so for sure... Yes I am also a great admirer of my grandpa and his stories that he told me... I will write all of them... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bhaiya m Raghvendra Ranjan not Rajan....fr convenience u can call me Raghav....i wl take dat...bt nt rajan....hehehe.

      Delete
    2. ok ok i got it raghav... i will mind that from next time

      Delete